Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Champion of the World" by Maya Angelou

The way Angelou describes the black race in connection with the defeat of Joe Louis (if it happened) made the passage more powerful. No longer was this just an ordinary boxing match but rather a fight for dignity and hope. If Louis would have lost it would have been another thing the white race defeated the black race in (at that time). Instead of the defeat only affecting Louis and his fans, it would affect the entire black race. I think this helps make her essay more personal and meaningful. It also helps the reader understand what type of era Angelou was living in better.

I only belong to one group and that is "The Fab 5" (cheesy name I know). This group includes myself, my boyfriend Justin, and our three friends James, Parker, and Kyle. We established this group when we were seniors in high school and it was pretty exclusive. We weren't snobs or rude, I mean we were open to other people it's just that other people who tried to hang out with us didn't understand our jokes and felt uncomfortable most of the time. I think we knew we were a group when we actually came up with the name "The Fab 5" and people actually recognized who "The Fab 5" were. We still maintin the Fab 5 friendships even though we go to different schools. And when all of us get together we still call ourselves "The Fab 5".

No comments: