Monday, April 23, 2007

Aria: a Memoir of a Bilingual Childhood

When I was younger my family and I didn't really have a special language as Rodriguez did. My dad's side of the family is from Guatemala so they tried teaching me Spanish as a child that way I could communicate with my grandparents however I was reluctant to learning and called them "bad words". I wish I would have learned spanish because even though i took three years of spanish in high school i don't have a great knowledge of it. I couldn't tell you how to say a lot of things but I wish i could. i can't talk to my grandparents because like me, they don't know englihs very well. therefore i have to use my dad to translate for me when i speak to them on the phone and that's disappointing. i would like to be able to have a conversation, even if it was short, once in my life but it doens't look like that's going to happen.

No comments: